Tuesday 3 November 2015

Indian Expo 2015

I hate the Indian Expo like I hate Pennywise. Every time I step foot inside- even if I come for specific items with a list and everything I always end up spending far more than I ever intended. Why Indian Expo? Why??? Every Divali is the same story- I go. I see. I buy. I smile. My bank account hates me afterwards. 

This year was no different. I actually had a game plan, a list, and a budget. And a mediator in the form of my best friend. Well. Optimism is key, but the reality is I fell off the bandwagon so fast it wasn't funny. It was like a train wreck that you can't look away from.


It started with the clothes: 
  • Sari? Shalwar? Gharara? Tunic?
  • Silk? Synthetic? Linen? 
  • Beaded or Embroidered?
  • Simple or Intricate?
  • Colour?
  • Style?
  • Ready made or Tailored?
  • Will one suffice?
  • Can I wear the one from last year instead? Do I really need another kaftan that I won't wear to the beach?




After that meltdown. It got worse when it came to choosing accessories:

Choose just one. I dare you to resist.
  • Black or red henna?
  • In the tube or in the cone?
  • Bindi or Tikka?
  • Single Hair Ornament or Mini Jewelled Clips?  
  • Kajal or no Kajal? 
  • Embellished Shoes or plain?
  • Gold or Silver accents?
  • Plain earrings or Crystal beads?
  • Plain or embellished bangles?  
  • Heavy? Light? Thick or thin?
  • Jet Bead Chain?
  • Anklet?
  • Sari Pin?
  • Rings?

So after three hours of indecisive traversing up and down all three lanes of the expo, finally satisfied with my purchases we ended up at the food court. Well, the term 'food court' is used here rather loosely as its one main food area with one booth for Indian ice cream (we will get to that), one for main meals and the last booth for drinks and snacks.

At this junction I encountered a semi-meltdown. (Nothing as bad as the last two though)

  • Tandoori Ckicken or Fish?
  • Tikka?
  • Samosas?
  • Naan?

Tandoori Chicken
Eventually we settled for the chicken tikka and the tandoori chicken. I have not had 'real' Indian food before. I'm not talking about our Trini curry that everybody loves, but rather authentic Indian cooking direct from the source. After splitting our lunches so I could sample both meals I can now say that I know what I want to learn to cook for myself!

For me, the tandoori chicken just tasted like a spicy bbq chicken without the sauce- Pretty charred. Also it was undercooked. Rather disappointing if you ask me. So tandoori chicken from the Indian Expo? Pass. However i'm not opposed to trying it again someday. Probably from somewhere else though...


Chicken Tikka
On a much happier note, I cannot stop raving about their chicken tikka. So moist and juicy. Tender. Just enough spice without being overpowering. Perfectly accompanied by plain white rice. I now have a greater appreciation for plain rice. I am not a lover of rice but after eating Korean beef bbq at Golden Bell and now the chicken tikka at the Indian Expo- I get it. It just accentuates the flavours and intensifies the spices. I finished my meal and was like- It done already?
Chocolate & Almond

For dessert--- because you know everyone has room for dessert! I tried some Kulfi. What is kulfi? Kulfi is best described as an Indian style ice cream. The name does not particularly entice me, but hey- try everything once right? I chose almond, although there were more conventional flavours like strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. It was served on a skewer, pre-wrapped from a cone shaped mould. It was heaven. Heaven on a stick. Rich and creamy, without being too heavy. I really enjoyed the crushed almonds which made it pretty textured- although not everyone may enjoy the texture.

On the bright side, whilst neither my bank account nor my bestie will forgive me for the horrors of me shopping at the Indian Expo, I definitely have found a new culinary project to embark upon. Indian food here I come!!!


Here's an easy Pistachio Kulfi recipe to try at home. I know I certainly will give it a go as it requires no churning whatsoever like traditional ice cream making methods. Remember that the pistachios can be substituted for other delicious flavours!

Ingredients

Takes 1 h 25 m to set. Makes 6 servings  


  •  


Directions


  • Stir the milk, condensed milk, and dry milk powder together in a heavy-bottomed pan and bring to a boil. 
  • Add the sugar, cardamom, and saffron to the boiling milk; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. 
  • Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature; fold the pistachio nuts into the mixture.
  • Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze until solid, about 1 hour
Recipe courtesy: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/210541/easy-malai-kulfi/

1 comment:

  1. KULFI... I can openly say I will never try it again. I approve this blog ;)

    ReplyDelete